Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Meet Meli Launey

Meli (Melissa) Launey will be teaching 4th grade ELA this year at Chets Creek.

Meli has lived in Jacksonville almost her whole life..since 2nd grade. Her parents also live here and her younger sister works at an advertising agency in Tampa. She enjoys reading, watching reality TV, and spending time with her boyfriend, friends and family.

Meli graduated from the University of North Florida with a degree in psychology, but says we don't have to worry, because she doesn't psychoanalyze people. Throughout college Meli worked with children in extended day programs and summer camps and went back and forth, changing her major to journalism, nursing, and education. Ultimately she chose the psychology degree with financial stability weighing heavy on her mind. In her last semester she did an internship in Human Resources with Johnson and Johnson (VISTAKON). That's when she realized that she couldn't work in an office everyday..and that she missed the kids tremendously. So she got certified to teach and landed a job at Lake Lucina Elementary where she has been for the past 5 years. She taught 1st grade, 3rd grade, and 4th the last two years.

Meli says that she has discovered many things about herself in the past five years. One, she has an incredible passion for literature and is obsessed with finding out as much as she can about teaching ELA. Two, she doesn't want to ever be a teacher that gets stuck in a rut and burns out, so... in order to stay excited, she constantly learns more and more. She has spent the last 5 year attending conferences, workshops, and learning as much as she can. She has even been the ELA model classroom. And the last thing she learned is that teaching is what she was meant to do. Meli says she was always an average student, until she started teaching! Amazing how passion about something can make all the difference!

Meli says she stalked Chets Creek's website, blogs, and the amazing NING and knew she NEEDED to be a part of our school. She says, "I had never seen a faculty so full of people just as passionate (...some might call it crazy:) as I am. While I don't have very much traveling experience outside the country, I am excited to travel around the world in 180 days and learn as much as I can this year. I am so glad that I ended up going with my gut and choosing to pursue my teaching career...my pockets may be lighter, but my heart and spirit are full!"

12 comments:

Sherrie Rabe said...

Meli,
I am so excited to get to work with you this year. Welcome to Chet's!!
Sherrie

Cindy Tsengas said...

Welcome to this incredible place.
Cindy Tsengas

Michelle Ellis & Debby Cothern said...

Meli, It was great meeting you last night. I am looking forward to working with you.

Melanie Holtsman said...

Meli,
I knew when I met you on the ning last year you must be an exceptional teacher. We are so lucky to find an experienced teacher who puts her heart into what she does. You'll love Chets Creek! :) Melanie

Suzanne said...

Meli,
I am estatic that you found your way to our on-line communities and that you became a Chets stalker--what an advantage for us to have such an experienced and passionate learning leader joining our staff. You will love your 4th grade team! They are truly a dynamic! See you on Day 1!

Learning Leaders said...

Welcome to Chets Creek! I also have a bachelor's degree other than education and believe that I found my true calling in teaching. Glad we share a kindred spirit! I'm staying at home this school year to be with my little 17 month old, so we probably won't get a chance to meet face to face. I do want you to know though, that Chets Creek is a very fine school and you will absolutely love the faculty, staff and administration! Enjoy!
-Elizabeth Conte

Debbie Harbour said...

Meli,
Welcome...I know you will feel welcomed in your new home. I look forward to meeting you.
Debbie Harbour

Julie Johnson said...

Welcome Meli!
I look forward to meeting you. See you soon ~ enjoy your summer!
Julie Johnson

Anonymous said...

Meli,
I am so excited to be working with you, Dorry, and Shea this year. It is fantastic to work with such motivated, dedicated teachers. I am looking forward to learning and growing with you.
I know that you write skits.... do you write Reader's Theater skits as well?
Fondly,
Christy

Chascinc said...

Welcome to the Creek! It will be so nice to meet you in real life after networking on ning.
-Cheryl

Michelle Ellis & Debby Cothern said...

Meli,
I am so happy for you and Chets. We are lucky to have you. I am looking forward to getting to know you.
Debby

Toni Chant said...

Hi Meli,

I hope you have had a chance to move into your new classroom and then perhaps, relax a bit. I enjoyed meeting you during post-planning and look forward to seeing you around school. My door is always open if you need anything. Welcome to CCE!
Toni